I have used foundation to cover my skin disorder since I was 12. I’m so good at it that many of my friends had no idea there was anything wrong with my skin until they read this blog. So what’s my secret? I take excellent care of my skin and use make-up that provides enough coverage without looking heavy. Here are a few basic tips anyone can use to achieve that flawless look in a few minutes.
- Moisturizer: Apply a light moisturizer a few minutes before putting on makeup. This preps the skin and helps the make-up blend. I swear by Imperialis by Lush. It soothes my skin and is not greasy. Find one that works for you. The more natural the ingredients the better. The better condition your skin is in the less noticeable any imperfections will be with and without make-up. (not that you’re not already perfect!) You were born with one face – take care of it.
- Apply Foundation: I use Studio Sculpt by Mac Cosmetics – perfect amount of coverage and still looks “natural.”
- Put a small amount on a wedge make-up sponge and apply dots of foundation to the areas you want to cover.
- Blend the dots together. Don’t forget to blend under your chin so the make-up just doesn’t “stop.” Remember, applying make-up is like cooking. It’s easier to add than take away. If one area needs more coverage, add a little more foundation. That’s the other reason I love Studio Sculpt. It’s “buildable” so you add more to areas that need more coverage without looking like the make-up was caked on.
- Set with powder: I prefer a pressed compact powder to a loose powder. Less messy and easier to throw in your purse for touch ups during the day. My favorite is Studio Fix by Mac Cosmetics. This can also be used by itself if you want light coverage.
- Using powder puff gently pat powder over face.
- Wipe off excess: With a tissue, gently wipe over face to remove any excess make-up. I find this also give one final blend to the make-up for any spots I may have missed.
So there are my tips for foundation. Let me know if they work for you! Have any tips of your own or a favorite product, please share!